February 28 - 29, 2016
Pre-Registration closed - Walk-ins Welcome
Prepare to advocate on behalf of your students.
- Meet with legislators before budget proposals are created.
- Learn about key legislative priorities.
- Bring your legislative liaison.
|Sunday, February 28 - Networking|
|3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Meet with NYSSBA’s Governmental Relations staff. Learn new advocacy tools to help you advocate on behalf of your students all year long.
- Receive a district specific, per student state aid summary
- View a demonstration of the NYSSBA Action Center, an online advocacy portal to connect with your legislators
||Student State Aid Summaries and demonstrations of the NYSSBA Action Center will be available throughout the conference.
|5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Meet school board members from across the state, share advocacy tips and plan meetings to discuss advocacy strategies.
- Music group: Cornwall Middle School Jazz Combo, Director: Steve Kessler
|6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
||Dinner & Featured Speaker
- Introduction: Julie M. Marlette, NYSSBA Director of Governmental Relations
- Remarks: Susan L. Bergtraum, NYSSBA President
- Welcome: Timothy G. Kremer, NYSSBA Executive Director
- Featured Speaker: Dr. Jere Hochman, Deputy Secretary of Education
Hear from Governor Cuomo’s top education adviser and career educator on the administration’s agenda and emerging issues.
|Monday, February 29 – Lobby Day|
|Take all you’ve learned, head up the hill and meet your state representatives!
|8:00 - 8:30 a.m.
|8:30 - 10:00 a.m.
||Breakfast & Get Ready to Lobby
NYSSBA staff will lead you through an intensive, in-depth discussion about key budget priorities. Review critical issues, ask questions and get prepared for your meetings with legislators
|10:00 a.m. and beyond
Remember to schedule your appointments in advance and allow time to go through security.
Download the event e-brochure
Need a room for NYSSBA’s 2016 Capital Conference?
The room block will be held until January 27, 2016. Reservations will continue to be accepted after this date, at prevailing room rates, subject to availability.
The host hotel is the Hilton Albany, 40 Lodge Street, Albany, NY 12207
PLEASE NOTE: Rooms at the Albany Hilton for the 2016 Capital Conference are sold out. Additional rooms are available at Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany-Downtown. Make your reservation by February 17, 2016 to receive the group rate and to be guaranteed a room.
Reserve a room at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany-Downtown