NYSSBA Policy Services
The Importance of Policy
Policy is a set of broad written guidelines created by the Board of Education to chart the school district's course of action.
Effective policy can be used to help the board:
- Determine priorities
- Provide direction for the district
- Assign responsibilities
- Establish commitments
- Demonstrate public accountability
- Offer notice of legal requirements
- Ensure legal compliance
Carefully researched, well-written and well-organized policies are essential for all school districts. They can ensure fair and reasonable treatment of students, staff and the community, guard against liability and provide continuity of leadership for the district.
NYSSBA offers three policy services for your district’s convenience, each designed to remove the hassle associated with creating and maintaining policy and ensure that your district’s policy manual maximizes its potential. Each service is provided by expert NYSSBA policy consultants who have over 35 years combined experience working with district policies.
- The Essential Policy Manual – A customized and concise policy manual tailored to reflect your board’s goals and priorities.
- E-Policy – An online version of your policy manual that can be easily and instantly accessed, 24/7.
- Policy Update – policy consultants will provide new and/or revised policies quarterly and advise your district on emerging policy issues. Additional details and the order form are available on the Subscription Agreement.
For more information on these policy offerings, included benefits and pricing, click here.