MEDIA ADVISORY and PHOTO OPPORTUNITY
FOR RELEASE: April 22, 2014
CONTACT: Al Marlin
(518) 783-3723 or (518) 527-6933 cell
On Twitter: @nyschoolboards
Who: School board members, local government officials and elected leaders
What: Municipal Innovation Exchange Summit
When: Friday, April 25, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Where: Holiday Inn Liverpool, 441 Electronics Parkway, Syracuse, NY
With the recent passage of the New York State property tax freeze agreement, local governments and school districts need to further examine efficient ways to consolidate or share services with neighboring municipalities. These potential cost savings would benefit local taxpayers.
The leaders from four state associations that represent school boards, counties, cities, villages and towns will host a summit to introduce the Municipal Innovation eXchange (MIX), a new collaborative effort to help school districts and local governments expand ongoing efforts to share and consolidate services.
10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Shared Services in New York State: A Reform that Works
- Mildred Warner, Department of City and Regional Planning, Cornell University
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Economic Landscape
- Edmund J. McMahon, president and founder, Empire Center for Public Policy Inc.
12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Lunch: Officer and CEO Roundtable
- Stephen Acquario, executive director, New York State Association of Counties (NYSAC)
- Peter Baynes, executive director, New York Conference of Mayors (NYCOM)
- Gerry Geist, executive director, Association of Towns of the State of New York (AOT)
- Timothy Kremer, executive director, New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA)
- Mark R. Alger, president, NYSAC, and Steuben County manager
- Edmond Theobald, AOT Executive Committee Member, supervisor, Town of Manlius
- Richard Donovan, president, NYCOM, and mayor, Village of Minoa
- Lynne Lenhardt, president, NYSSBA, and member, Bethlehem Central, Capital Region BOCES and Tech Valley High School Boards of Education
2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Cooperative Purchasing
- Chris Mellis, national program manager, U.S. Communities
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Nuts and Bolts of Planning Your Project
- Erika Rosenberg, associate director of the Center for Governmental Research (CGR)
Scott Sittig, associate director of the Center for Governmental Research (CGR)
For the full schedule of events, visit:
Media interested in attending the event should contact Al Marlin at (518) 783-3723 or (518) 527-6933.
About NYSSBA: The New York State School Boards Association represents more than 650 school boards and more than 5,000 school board members in New York. NYSSBA provides advocacy, training, and information to school boards in support of their mission to govern the state's public schools.
Send this page to a friend
Show Other Stories