Advocacy Alert: Assembly Releases First Look at Education Proposals
March 10, 2016
Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie and Education Chair Cathy Nolan announced today that the Assembly budget proposal will include an increase in education aid of $2.13 billion, over $1 billion more than proposed by the governor.
Their proposal focuses on a number of NYSSBA supported initiatives including:
- $1.1 billion increase in Foundation Aid
- Elimination of the Gap Elimination Adjustment ($434 million)
- $200 million in funding for community schools
- $20 million for Career and Technical Education programs to be dispersed through BOCES and special services aid
- $10 million for districts experiencing growing enrollment of English language learners
- 2% increase ($15 million) for Special Act School Districts and 853 schools
- 7 year extension of Mayoral Control in New York City
- $1 million increase for Bilingual Education Services.
You can read the Assembly’s full release below.
As full details of this proposal become available, NYSSBA Governmental Relations will keep you up to date.
For additional information on NYSSBA’s budget recommendations and response to the executive budget proposal, please refer to our budget testimony.
Send this page to a friend
Show Other Stories