Advocacy Alert: Regents Release 2018-19 State Aid Proposal
December 12, 2017
On Monday, the Board of Regents released their 2018-19 School Aid proposal. The Regents recommended a school aid increase of more than $1.6 billion, or 6.3%, over current year funding levels. Their proposal includes:
- $1.25 billion in additional Foundation Aid
- $85 million of Foundation Aid increase would be restricted or "set-aside" within this amount, reserved for services for English language learner (ELL) students and compliance with part 154 regulations
- Continuation of the Foundation Aid phase-in
- A minimum level of additional Foundation Aid for all districts
- $314 million increase for expense-based reimbursement aids (transportation, building, BOCES, etc.)
- This represents full funding for these aid categories
- $25 million for career and technical education (CTE)
- This would increase the aidable salary cap on BOCES salaries over five years to $60,000
- This would also transition non-component districts to a reimbursement for the delivery of CTE services
- $20 million in additional aid for universal prekindergarten (UPK)
In addition, the Regents released their 2018 legislative priorities including:
- Elimination or reduction of certain mandates related to transportation, educational management services and special education
- Using school aid overpayment deductions to provide additional prior year aid claim funding
- Increasing the spending threshold on capital outlay building aid projects from $100,000 to $250,000
- Creating an SED waiver process for the late filing of transportation contracts
- Establishing a new tuition rate setting methodology and general reserve fund for special act school districts
To view the full presentations of both the Regents' state aid and legislative proposals, follow the link below.
Earlier this month, the Educational Conference Board (ECB), of which NYSSBA is a member, called for a $2 billion school aid increase in 2018-19. Many of the Regents' proposals are aligned with the proposals of the ECB and NYSSBA.
- NYS Board of Regents State Aid and Legislative Priorities
- ECB 2018 School Finance Recommendations
- NYSSBA 2018 Legislative Priorities
To hear more about NYSSBA's legislative priorities, join the Governmental Relations team for a Legislative Preview webinar this Thursday, December 14th, at noon. Registration information for the webinar is below.
For more information, visit our Key Issues Page, and be sure to follow NYSSBA on Facebook and Twitter.
Send this page to a friend
Show Other Stories