Advocacy Update: NYSSBA APPR Proposal
January 10, 2019
One of the key issues the NYSSBA Governmental Relations team anticipates legislative action on in the 2019 session is changes to the current Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) system. NYSSBA has advanced recommendations which would, if adopted:
- Eliminate the mandate to use state assessments in APPR
- Eliminate the mandate to use independent observers
- Eliminate the link to state aid
- Allow for the use of student portfolios as a measure of student performance
- Allow for the use of student and teacher surveys, lesson plans and other artifact of teaching as a part of the APPR.
NYSSBA Executive Director Timothy G. Kremer released a statement on the principles embodied in the recommendations earlier today.
Full text of the recommendations and the statement can be viewed at the links below.
In the weeks and months to come, NYSSBA Governmental Relations staff will be working to advance these and other Association priorities.
NYSSBA's Governmental Relations team will continue to report on these and other issues. For more information, visit our Key Issues Page.
Show Other Stories