Employment Opportunities at NYSSBA
Project and Web Content Manager
The New York State School Boards Association is looking for a qualified project and web content manager to join our team. You will work with the Project Planning team to develop requirements, scope of work proposals and enforce project timelines of association projects, in addition to maintaining and improving our website presence to achieve business objectives.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who wants to play a key role in building something from the ground up. You should perform well under deadlines and be detail oriented. Expertise in content optimization and project management are desirable skill sets.
Job duties include:
- Manage an ongoing website redesign project
- Collaborate with other departments to maintain relevant and engaging content for the Association website
- Optimize content according to search engine optimization needs
- Monitor and analyze website traffic and user engagement metrics
- Act as a liaison with departments to ensure timely execution of planned initiatives or time sensitive updates
- Serve as project plan resource for department project managers
- Proficient in project management methodologies
- Proficient with MS Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Must be highly organized and have strong project management skills
- Knowledge of SEO and web traffic metrics
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience including project management and website development
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply for confidential consideration, email resume and cover letter by July 8 to:
Subject line: Project and web content manager
NYS School Boards Association
24 Century Hill Drive, Suite 200
Latham, NY 12110-2125
NYSSBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Position Executive Director
Company New York State School Boards Association
Location Latham, NY
Reporting Relationship Board of Directors
The New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA) is the state-wide voice for the interests of public boards of education. NYSSBA serves more than 675 local school boards and boards of cooperative educational services (BOCES), which represent more than 5,200 members – nearly half the elected officials in the state.
In general school board members – who sit on local boards of education – are the educational leaders in their communities. They determine the policies that govern the operation of their local public-school systems. They are elected local officials and, with few exceptions, volunteers. Collectively they guide a state-wide school system that expends over $58 billion, employs nearly 520,000 people and serves nearly 2.7 million children.
NYSSBA provides information, training and advice on matters affecting school boards, and collaborates with other educational and related associations to promote excellence in education for public school students.
NYSSBA was founded in 1896 in Utica, New York, as the New York State Association for School Boards. In 1920 the name changed to the State Association of School Boards and Trustees of New York State. By 1929 it became the Associated School Boards and Trustees of the State of New York.
In 1932 the association merged with the New York State Association of Central Rural School District Boards to form the New York State School Boards Association, which was then incorporated in 1935. In 1945 the expenditure of public funds payable as dues to the Association was given a legal foundation in Education Law by the state Legislature.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of NYSSBA in support of its mission and goals. The Executive Director will collaborate with a dedicated Board of Directors in overseeing the association’s strategy, operations, and goals and has general responsibility for executing NYSSBA’s policies. Responsibilities include managing the day to day operations of the association, providing leadership and guidance to the staff and membership in developing, achieving, and maintaining high service standards, sound programs, and good performance of the association. It is vital that the Executive Director be seen as a leadership figure with both internal and external stakeholders in advancement of the mission to provide leadership to school boards through advocacy, information, and programs.
Additional key responsibilities include the following:
- A visionary leader to support and oversee the association’s mission and principles; as developed by the Board and Staff and agreed upon as association annual goals.
- Communicate the vision of the association to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Make recommendations pertaining to policy, personnel, finance, and legislation and places before the Board of Directors such necessary and data, information, and reports as needed to ensure the making of informed decisions.
- Provide assertive leadership in the pursuit of NYSSBA’s legislative priorities and maintain an effective governmental relations program to represent the interests of NYSSBA’s membership to the Governor, the Legislature, and appropriate government agencies.
- Serve, together with the President, as chief spokesperson for NYSSBA, to the public, press, legislative bodies and other related organizations, as appropriate.
- Pursuant to the Bylaws, serve as secretary of NYSSBA.
- Collaborate with the Board and staff to develop strategic and operating plans on an ongoing basis.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for improvement and implement plans accordingly.
- Manage NYSSBA’s finances, including preparation and recommendation to the Board of Directors of an annual budget consistent with long-range plans and appropriate to NYSSBA’s resources; provide quarterly and annual reports on the status of the budget and the financial affairs of NYSSBA.
- Maintain adequate records for NYSSBA, including a system of financial accounts, business, property records and personnel records, acts as custodian of such records, and of all official NYSSBA documents.
- Employ staff, evaluate the performance of NYSSBA’s staff at least annually, and develop programs for staff performance growth and development.
- Ensure the development and operation of adequate recruiting, selection, appraisal and compensation systems to meet NYSSBA’s objectives.
- Supervise and maintain NYSSBA’s offices and equipment. Ensure the proper functioning of NYSSBA and the attainment of NYSSBA’s objectives.
- Manage NYSSBA’s leased real property.
- Use discretion to make available NYSSBA facilities for use by other groups and associations with or without a fee.
- Determine which persons or entities shall be permitted to use the NYSSBA logo and letterhead.
Board of Directors and External Relations
- Maintain frequent contact with NYSSBA’s officers and Board of Directors and its committees on policy matters and issues.
- Maintain personal contacts and relationships with elected and appointed state officials, media representatives and heads of other associations.
- Ensure board committees are provided with the information and support necessary to fulfill their objectives.
- Ensure active participation by board members and support effective roles and functioning.
- Enhancing existing and developing new partnerships with relevant associations aligned to the mission of NYSSBA.
- Represent and act as a liaison for NYSSBA with the local educational agencies, state and national associations, the general public and local associations.
- Ensure visibility of the association’s programs, services, and activities and maintain good public relations.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director must be a passionate advocate for the mission of NYSSBA. The association seeks a highly credible, dynamic, and dedicated leader with extensive executive leadership experience. The successful candidate must have the ability to serve as a visible leader for an association providing leadership to school boards through advocacy, information, and programs. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing and executing the strategic plan and overall management of timelines and resources needed to achieve the goals of the association. S/he will have overall responsibility for the strategic, operational, financial, and programmatic direction for the association.
Other desired qualifications and leadership characteristics include:
- Seasoned executive with a high-level of maturity, sound business acumen, proven leadership skills, and demonstrated success in leading an association with measurable results.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and execution.
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of finances and budgeting. Ability to maintain clear fiscal priorities, overseeing a sustainable budget, and lead the association’s short- and long-term financial planning.
- Experience leading and managing teams.
- Substantive experience working successfully and effectively with and managing the needs of a Board of Directors to continue to advance the association’s mission, objectives, policies, and operations of the association.
- Demonstrated success in advocacy.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing effective operations and programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships with all stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, staff, members, community groups, and be a leader in the community who is inspirational and innovative.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with associations in the community.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with enthusiasm for the mission and the ability to engage and inspire others.
- Results-oriented, flexible and adaptable; has an ability to build and leverage new and innovative approaches to business, and program development.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required. Graduate degree required.
Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.