New York State law requires newly-elected school board members to complete training within their first year of service. This training requires topics on the essentials of school board governance and a minimum of six hours in fiscal oversight, accountability and fiduciary responsibilities of a school board member.
During this training you will:
- Learn the roles and responsibilities of a board member
- Examine your legal duties and learn how laws and regulations impact the work of a school board
- Explore the role of policy and policy development
- Learn how to use data to drive student achievement
- Understand the board’s role in district finances and the annual budget
- Learn the basics of school district fund accounting
You’re eligible to sign up for in-person training, the live virtual academy or enroll in online training immediately following your election – even if you haven’t taken office as a school board member yet.
NYSSBA offers you three convenient ways to fulfill your training requirements:
- Get training locally, in your region
- Interact with presenters and other school board members
- Hear what other new members have encountered in their first year
- Complete your training in two days
$255 one-day, $440 two-day (Members)
$510 one-day, $880 two-day (Nonmembers)
Complete your training at our in-person New School Board Member Academy. During this two-day workshop, typically held on a Friday and Saturday, fulfill your training requirements, network with other board members, participate in discussions and ask questions about the roles of school board members.
- Day 1: Essentials of School Board Governance - On your first day of training, you will be led through an in-depth look at school board governance. You will learn about the purpose of school boards, how to navigate board meetings and how data supports good decision-making and student accountability. You’ll also learn the legal do’s and don’ts for school boards.
- Day 2: Fiscal Oversight Fundamentals - On your second day of training, the discussion will focus on the financial oversight and fiduciary responsibilities of school boards. You will learn how to assess and promote fiscal fitness of the district and how to protect your district’s resources. The training will also cover fiscal planning and budget development.
Special Offer for Veteran Board Members
Are you interested in a refresher course to brush up on your fiscal and governance responsibilities?
School board members who were elected in 2021 or earlier, and have already completed state mandated training through NYSSBA, are eligible to register for NYSSBA’s New School Board Member Academy at a 50% discount.*
Just choose the date and location that is most convenient for you.
You must have been elected/appointed in 2021 or prior and have already taken state-mandated training through NYSSBA to be eligible for the special offer. This special offer does not apply to the online state-mandated training courses or the Leadership in Education event in August 2022. Offer valid through December 1, 2022.
Fulfill your state-mandated requirements through a live virtual academy via computer, tablet or mobile device.
- Day 1: Essentials of School Board Governance - On the last day of training, you will be led through an in-depth look at school board governance. You will learn about the purpose of school boards, how to navigate board meetings and how data supports good decision-making and student accountability. You’ll also learn the legal do’s and don’ts for school boards.
- Day 2 and 3: Fiscal Oversight Fundamentals* – On the first two days, the discussion will focus on the financial oversight and fiduciary responsibilities of school boards. You will learn how to assess and promote fiscal fitness of the district and how to protect your district’s resources. The training will also cover fiscal planning and budget development.
*Attendance at both fiscal oversight dates is required. They must be taken consecutively to successfully complete the course.
Newly redesigned in 2021, NYSSBA’s online New School Board Member Training can be completed online during your first year of board services, whenever it is convenient for you. Accessible via computer, tablet or mobile device, this online training covers all the content you would receive in the live trainings. Each module is designed to help you learn the content through readings, videos, real-world examples and supplemental materials. You will have access to the modules and supplemental materials throughout your first year of service.
You can join the courses at any time throughout the year.
Courses Offered: (Successful completion of both courses is required to satisfy the training mandate).
- Essentials of School Board Governance - The objective of this course is to provide newly elected school board members with the fundamental knowledge necessary to meet their legal obligations as an elected school board member. Topics in the course include the board’s role in student achievement, the dynamics of the board-superintendent relationship, the process of developing and using policy, key legal parameters such as the Open Meetings Law and the use of data to make decisions.
- Fiscal Oversight Fundamentals - This course explores a school board member’s financial responsibilities. The course explains the basics of financial oversight including the roles, responsibilities and qualifications of key district finance officials in safeguarding, using, and accounting for district resources. The course provides specific details on where a school district’s funds come from and how those funds can be spent. The course also covers the elements of financial reports, the process of preparing a budget, common types of fraud and policy actions the board can enact protect resources.
Login credentials and additional information will be sent via email within one business day after you register.
Please Note: Access to your courses expires and the courses are closed at the end of your first year of service. No extensions are allowed. Incomplete grades are reported to the school district. Re-enrollment requires payment of another enrollment fee(s), permission from your school board, and a current purchase order. Any work completed in your previously-enrolled course is NOT transferred into the new course.
Already started your online course and need to login to finish your training?