New Member Resources
Welcome to the New York State School Boards Association! Becoming a new school board member comes with added responsibilities and requires commitment. Learn about the ways NYSSBA can help get you up to speed now and keep you informed during your tenure on the board.
We are pleased to provide the following resources to help you get started in your new role.
- Mission Statement, Vision and Core Beliefs
- Member Services and Programs | View information as a PDF
- State Mandated Training
- Upcoming Training Events
Recommended publications for new school board members are:
- New School Board Member Handbook
- Glossary of Education Terms
- Email Usage Handbook
- Recognition Program Brochure
- State Mandated Training Brochure
You can find these additional recommended publications which can be purchased from the NYSSBA store:
- The Key Work of School Boards: A Guidebook, 2nd edition
- Becoming a Better Board Member, 3rd edition
- Robert’s Rules in Plain English, 2nd edition
Please ensure that your district clerk has notified us of your contact information (including your email address) so that you can be added to our mailing list for On Board, our award-winning newspaper and to receive E-Clips our free email clipping service that provides links to education news from state and national news outlets every weekday.
We are always available to offer information or guidance and look forward to working with you. Feel free to contact our Member Relations Team with any questions.