The New York State School Boards Association's Legal Services team provides resources to help board members understand their responsibilities in an increasingly complex legal environment. NYSSBA attorneys also work closely with our Policy services department to ensure local policies are in line with the most up-to-date education law.
NYSSBA legal team provides consultations on school law topics, including:
- Open meetings/open records
- Board member eligibility, conflicts and school board governance
- Election guidance materials
- Student discipline and student records
- Student searches/drug testing
- Certified and classified employee rights and discipline, including 3020a and corresponding case law
- Case law and attorney
- General opinions/decisions
- General policy, procedure, legislative and regulatory school law issues
For further information call 800.342.3360.